Tyler Wren recently met with the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ) team to discuss the latest updates within the profession. Here’s the most recent information to keep you clued up!
Who are Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)?
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand is a professional membership body representing over 136,000 financial professionals across the globe. They operate through a network of 14 offices across six countries, with members supported by a workforce of more than 600 employees globally.
As a member of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), The Global Accounting Alliance (GAA), and Chartered Accountants Worldwide (CAW), CA ANZ is at the forefront of shaping the future of the profession. Ainslie van Onselen, the CEO of CA ANZ, is set to take the helm as the next Chair of Chartered Accountants Worldwide from November 14th, 2023.
CA ANZ promotes the CA designation and high ethics standards, delivers world-class member services and lifelong education to members, and advocates for the public good. Their flagship CA program, the pathway to becoming a CA, combines a rigorous education with mentored practical experience.
On average, someone who becomes a CA has spent at least 6-7 years studying and at least three years of Mentored Practical Experience. It’s a journey that culminates in the internationally recognised CA designation, and on top of that, you get a formally recognised qualification – the Graduate Diploma of Chartered Accounting (GradDipCA).
Chartered Accountants play a pivotal role in safeguarding financial integrity and driving strategic decision-making for businesses and organisations, utilising their expertise to navigate complex financial landscapes.
Benefits of Joining a Professional Membership Body
- Shows you have reached a certain level of expertise in your profession and adds to your credibility.
- Provides you with professional development to help you progress in your career.
- Provides you with tools and resources, guidance, and support.
- Keeps you up to date with the latest industry knowledge.
- Opportunity to be mentored by senior members of the profession.
- Builds a professional network of like-minded people across the globe.
- Gives you the opportunity to shape the future of the profession.
Pathways to the CA Program:
CA ANZ understands that diverse backgrounds make for stronger professionals.
They offer four pathways into the CA Program:
1. The standard accredited Accounting degree
Once candidates have completed their accredited Accounting degree, they can start the CA Program immediately.
2. Non-accredited Accounting degree
Click here to find out more. This is for anyone who has a non-accounting degree (at least equivalent to an NZ Bachelor’s degree). CA ANZ assesses their degree and identifies any missing competencies that they can bridge via the CA ANZ Foundations Program.
3. New from 1 July 2023 – The Flexi Pathway (ie. accredited diploma pathway)
Candidates complete a Diploma in Business/Accounting (L5 or L6) and then complete 6 – 8 papers via our Foundations Program. Once this is complete, they will be eligible to start the CA Program.
Candidates complete the CA Program subjects in the final year of their two-year full-time Masters degree. After that, they complete their three-year Mentored Practical experience to qualify as a CA.
This Master Pathway is available at Victoria University of Wellington and Massey University, with a few more on the way.
CA Foundations – bridging the gap
CA ANZ has partnered with Deakin University to offer a refreshed CA Foundations entry pathway. Start the program anytime, set your study pace, and enjoy online delivery with six exams throughout the year.
CA ANZ membership Pathway for Members of Overseas Accounting Bodies
CA ANZ extends its hand to internationally qualified members from prestigious bodies worldwide. Whether you’re from the Global Accounting Alliance (GAA) or designated overseas member bodies, CA ANZ has a pathway for you.
Global Accounting Alliance (GAA) Reciprocal Membership
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants(AICPA )
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA )
- The South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
Designated overseas member bodies pathway
- Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe (ICAZ)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
They also have an International Pathways Program for those coming from the following Accounting bodies:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Bangladesh (ICAB)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal (ICAN)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka (CA Sri Lanka)
CA ANZ also offers the Accounting Technicians (AT) program and designation. According to IFAC,
“an Accounting Technician (AT) is a skilled person who undertakes many of the day-to-day functions in the accounting environment. ATs may progress to higher level jobs or qualifications once they have completed their technician level of training.”
The AT program and designation is standalone. However, some ATs have continued with studies undertaking the CA foundations or tertiary studies to ensure they meet the required competency areas to progress into the CA program.
The AT program consists of the AT Program Course and the AT Supervised Practical Experience (AT SPE). The course is future-focused and covers three content topic areas: Ethics and Integrity, Accounting Information Technology Systems, Digital Acumen, and Data Analysis. The AT SPE will expose candidates to encounter real-life situations, use their knowledge and skills to solve problems, make decisions, work in teams, build relationships, and communicate with others.
The AT program offers two entry pathways to suit candidates across all stages of their careers.
Experience pathway: for those who have gained five or more years of relevant employment in accounting or finance roles covering certain competency areas.
Academic pathway: for those who are undertaking, or have undertaken, a formal academic qualification covering accounting and business management.
Looking to the Future
The clients we work with here at Tyler Wren look beyond the technical skills, with soft skills becoming just as important, especially in roles such as Business Advisory.
The CA program integrates the development of deep technical expertise with strong professional skills and capabilities. The CA Program uses real-world engagement, authentic simulations, and challenges to develop technical and professional skills.
AT is a practical designation for those employed or who seek to be employed in finance or accounting-related roles within the operations part of businesses. The AT Program trains candidates to oversee and manage financial accounts to ethical and professional standards.
Maximise your CA ANZ membership
If you’re already a CA ANZ member, there are some incredible resources at your fingertips:
- Personalised Development Plans – from your MyCA profile, you can access the CA Capability Plus tool to help you identify your unique training needs (technical and professional) for your current and future aspirational roles. This tool will provide you with your own unique professional development plan with specifically curated learning and resources to help you develop the skills you need to focus on.
- LinkedIn Learning – To have more courses at your fingertips, you can log in to your MyCA account, and click ‘LinkedIn Learning’ to activate your LinkedIn Learning account. Choose from more than 16,000 on-demand high-quality courses from LinkedIn Learning – anytime, anywhere
- CA Library – Provides online curated readings, e-books, business reviews & more! Not to mention the personalised research facility.
Where to from here?
We are here to help you achieve your professional aspirations and unlock your full potential!
Emily de Rooy | 03 666 0016 | email@example.com